A new Summon Product Working Group within IGeLU/ELUNA
Ex Libris will manage the development of Summon. Following a discussion between Ex Libris and the customer organisations a joint IGeLU/ELUNA Product Working Group (PWG) for Summon has been created. The PWG will also represent 360 Link for an interim period. The PWG will look to all aspects of the products but with special attention to the 360 Knowledge base, 360 Link interface, Summon Knowledge base, Summon user interface (UX) and the Summon API.
Enhancements and regular contact
The role of the PWG is to maintain contact with Ex Libris product management on a regular basis to raise concerns and share information in a conference call once a month. Ex Libris has agreed to devote 150 development points (the same as for Primo) to the customer enhancement process. IGeLU/ELUNA uses a system NERS where customers suggest and vote on new features. Ex Libris is then committed to developing those features using development points. The more complex of enhancement the more points. Only members of IGeLU/ELUNA can participate in the enhancement process.
Let’s move on
By adopting the same customer product enhancement process for Summon as for other Ex Libris products we are entering a new phase of customer interaction and we are likely to see a development backlog. It is an interesting change to the previous process. It is also a new phase where the user groups are maintaining the role of PWGs instead of the company (as was done with the Advisory Board that had little influence over product enhancement). If you have any questions concerning the groups work please feel free to contac the persons below.
Another important role of the PWG is to participate in the organisation of the annual user conferences. Hopefully the PWG can help to promote user initiatives and a build a strong Summon track.
Members of the Summon PWG include the following, with bios and contact information bios and contact information.
- Daniel Forsman, Library Director, Chalmers University of Technology (SE), chair
- James Hammons, Head of Library Technologies, Ball State University (US)
- Susan Johns-Smith, Systems Librarian, Pittsburg State University (US), secretary/web
- Lesli Moore, Systems Librarian, Texas Health Science Libraries (US)
- Alisha L. Quagliana, Discovery & Access Coordinator, University of Texas at Austin (US)
- Rindra Ramli, Electronic Resources Specialist-Team Lead, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) (SA)
- Kathryn K. Silberger, Digital Content Services Librarian, Marist College (US)
- Angela Sidman, Electronic Resources Librarian, Yale University (US)
- Dr. Annette Specht, Librarian, Universität Bonn (DE)
- Susan Tegg, Team Leader – Library Systems, Griffith University (AU)
- Ken Varnum, Senior Program Manager for Discovery, Delivery, and Library Analytics, University of Michigan Library (US)
Steering committee liaisons for the PWG are:
Judith Drescher (ELUNA), Theo Engelmann (IGeLU) and Paul Joseph (ELUNA)
If you have any questions concerning the groups work please feel free to contact any of the above.